Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Here Ya Go Meathead

Dumb Eric Story # 2 - Written by Leo

As you can see from story #1 Eric has always had a fascination with fire.

When he was young, around 7 or so, his middle daughter's age, we had a typical BBQ in the back yard. In those days there were no gas grills so a BBQ meant real charcoal.

Well, he wasn't about to let a good charcoal fire go to waste so he got himself a nice stick and proceeded to light the tip on fire. He'd love to go running around the yard trying to set fire to just about anything that he thought might be flammable. When he couldn't get anything to stay lit he got bored and decided that he'd rededicate his efforts to trying to melt anything that might melt. Plastic of course fell well into this category.

So he finds an old 1 gallon plastic antifreeze jug and goes at it with the lit stick. Well, that would be great and there wouldn't be much of a story here if that was it. There's always a "BUT".

But, this particular antifreeze container was one that I used for gasoline to run the power lawnmower.

Well, as fire will do it eventually did melt a hole through the container. From in the house Cheryl and I hear this huge WOOOOOSSSSHHH!

Rushing to the window, there is this young meathead quite on fire rolling all over the ground trying to extinguish himself.

By the time we got outside his "Stop Drop and Roll" technique worked quite effectively and the rest of the fire had burned itself out on the lawn.

The flames never did reach his skin so there were no burns to deal with. There must be a meathead god that watches over him.

He was pretty shaken up, but otherwise, non the worse for it.

It obviously never quenched his love for the orange flame as there are more still more fire stories to tell.

Hmm, then there's the time when he was about a year old, he pulled a lamp cord out it's receptacle just far enough to drop a penny between it and the outlet. Oh Man that was ugly.

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing we all lived to be the age we are now. I grew up on a dairy and there were countless ways for me to kill myself. I guess that's natuaral selection at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it James! Sometimes I laugh at all the safety features we have now! I remember cracking the windshield in my fathers van when he smashed into someones pickup! Come to think of it maybe that is how I ended up like this! Soon all of our kids will be in bubble wrap suits! Broken bones and bruises build character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, blame me again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not even sure that thing had seat belts did it? Maybe lap belts. Anyway I love telling that story about cracking the window with my head!

    ReplyDelete