Wednesday, January 12, 2011

10 REASONS SNOW IS AWESOME!


WITH THE IMPENDING SNOWSTORM I FIGURED I'D WEIGH IN ON WHY I LOVE SNOW

Mia skiing at age 2.
1. You can ski on it.  Back in the caveman days some idiot was freezing his tookus off and figured he'd strap a couple of boards onto his feet and slide down the hill for fun.  The result was skiing and it has been refined and perfected over the years and it is just downright fun.  My family loves to ski Cannon Mountain in NH!

2.  What other media is out there that you can pee your name onto?  I can't think of any!  Of course I don't know cursive very well and things get messy but I am pleased by this miracle of snow nonetheless!

Sledding on Brook Hill!
3.  Sledding is only one step below skiing on the fun factor...since moving to my new house and increasing my snowmaking capacity enough to cover the hill in the back we have enjoyed many days and nights sledding on our little Brook Hill.  Nothing can bring out the kid in you like sledding can.

4.  Snow days!  Although I don't get snow days off  unless Armageddon has arrived, I still get excited for my kids when they get one.  In fact I think maybe I get more excited than they do.  I have never lost that wishing for a snow day since I was a young meat head.  I remember the radio announcer reading out the list when I was a kid and prayed for the words "No School - West Warwick" with all of my heart!

5. It allows us to test ourselves by fighting the storm.  Clearing snow is a purifying activity and when your done and have made your driveway usable again you have the feeling that you just kicked mother nature's ass even though she tried to get one on you!  I am truly a moron.

A hole burrowed through a large
man made snow pile at our old house
6.  Watching my daughter Abigail walk in and out from the deck all day to grab new cupfuls of snow makes me laugh.  The kid is totally obsessed with eating snow.  I have even caught her putting toppings on it!  

7.  There is something about getting in your car, going up to the nearby Stop and Shop Parking lot, and blasting through new snow banks and doing donuts that very satisfying and makes me laugh and woop out loud!  I have done this since I was 16 and look forward to it every year!


My improvised sap buckets and taps
in my first year of backyard sugaring


8.  A heavy blanket of snow on the ground is great for maple syrup season.  I forget the technical reason why but I know you get better sap runs during sapping season when there is snow on the ground.  In another month or so we will begin tapping the trees in the Costantino yard.  This is another obsession of mine that you will be hearing more about!

A snow packed tree
atop Cannon Mountain


9.  Snow is just beautiful.  I love watching how it drifts, fills in voids, piles on the trees.  The snow formations on the top of Cannon Mountain are among some of the coolest things I have witnessed.

My snowmaker cranking at full capacity
on a cold Rhode Island night.
10. I think my favorite thing about snow is that I can make it when nobody else has it.  Seeing my yard full of snow and green lawns all around me is just so fun.  I have been making my own snow since I was 13 and I haven't lost my zeal for this activity yet.  Having kids to enjoy it has made it even more satisfying over the years.  Hell I don't know exactly why I love snow but it is just cool! 



Happy Snowstorm everyone!  Get out there and enjoy it!

Love,

Wacky Dad



3 comments:

  1. My kids are out of school again tomorrow! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all your reasons for liking snow and thanks for the comment on my blog about skiing - www.wiimom.blogspot.com.

    It's funny - I saw how you said that Superbowl Sunday is always a good day to go skiing and we have taken advantage of that. Especially after 1pm, the slopes really clear out. However, I am a football fan. So I will stay up on the mountain for another evening so we can at least watch the 2nd half of the game.

    I'm now following you and hope you will follow me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch football wiimom so it really works for me. Thanks for the follow! I believe I added myself as a follower but I will defnitely hit the follow button for a fellow skier! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete