Monday, June 10, 2013

The Energizer Bunny Goes Nightcrawling


Recently, I was presented with the opportunity to write a 
post about an Energizer Night-Headlight.
My Night Headlight!


Being the meathead that I am, I was super excited at the opportunity and jumped at it. I am a total flashlight junkie!  While shopping at Wal-Mart for the light, I opted for the 70 Lumens Trailfinder.  As every self-respecting meathead should know, it all comes down to lumens when talking about lighting.  I always opt for the most power, and I snagged the biggest, baddest version on the shelf.   I have a graveyard of flashlights that I have beat up and destroyed over the years, and that included my previous headlight that my mother-in-law gave me when headlights first became popular.  If you read my blog, you'll know that I am always up to some manner of activity that requires lighting.  Cleaning a carburetor at dusk, working under the truck, climbing in crawlspaces and attics, you name it, I do it.  I had something a little more fun in mind for my new, night headlight this time though.  

NIGHT-CRAWLING!

Mia, The Fearsome Worm Hunter

As a kid we never bought worms for fishing.  We all had "worm boxes".  We went night crawling after every major rain storm.  Those big, fat, juicy worms would be up, out of their holes, soaking up the moonlight, and we were there to grab them!  My worm-box was an old wooden box I found somewhere that I re-purposed and turned into a worm-box.  But a worm-box can be pretty much anything.  The plastic container that Mia is holding in the picture above is just fine.  It's been a while since I had taken the kids out night-crawling, and I had never tried a headlight to hunt for them so I was totally into the idea of freeing up one hunting-hand and trying the "two handed" approach!


Fashion Diva Meets Worm Hunting
So basically, there isn't any brain surgery to hunting night-crawlers, except that you need to be very stealthy, and you need to be mindful of your light and where you point it.  Night-crawlers can sense you coming at them.  It must be the vibration of the ground that they feel because you need to tread very lightly.  Also if you shine a light directly at them, they "scram" back into their holes as fast as can be.  One thing I was intrigued by on my new beam headlight was it's ability to operate with "red light".  My daughter Ailey and I hypothesized the red light would probably allow us to sneak up on the worms without scaring them away.  It turns out that we were right on the money with that guess!  The red light mode on our night headlights was a "killer" for sneaking up on the worms.  It was almost as if they couldn't sense it at all.  It allowed us to get right up on top of them and grab them before they knew what was coming.

Ailey Showing Off Our New Secret Weapon - Red Light!
Note The "Two Handed" approach and the fabulous head-light quality and brightness!

This time of year you often find two worms snuggled up next to each other, which can only be some sort of worm mating ritual.  Kind of gross if you ask me but invariably, you only catch one of the worms when you're holding a flashlight since you only have one hand free.  Last night was the first time I was able to "Double Fist" and actually catch 2 worms at a time! Having two hands free, and the red light mode made us unstoppable!  We probably pulled in about 2 dozen worms of assorted sizes.  Below you can check out the big bruiser that Ailey spotted!


All in all, I was super impressed with my new night headlight from Energizer.  The build-quality seemed good, the water tight case impressed me, and the battery compartment was easily accessible as well as watertight.  All things that are a must for any true outdoors-person.  I am certainly a happy customer.  I'm also glad that my kids and I were able to enjoy a night out, night-crawling, and reliving some of my childhood memories, while also helping them to hone their night-crawling skills!

Note the red waterproof gasket surrounding the battery compartment.  Very cool.
For all of my fellow meatheads who are going to run out and pick up a headlight for their next worming excursion, I highly recommend the Energizer Trailfinder. Be sure to check out Energizer at www.energizer.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Energizer
Don't forget when you store worms, you'll want to keep them in a very cool place (I prefer the refrigerator). We like to feed our worms old coffee grounds.  It makes them fat and juicy, as well as super energetic (maybe the caffeine?)!

Just A Teaspoon full Of Coffee Grounds!
Disregard the messy kitchen in the background!


OH, AND BY THE WAY...

And Always put a warning sign on your worm box!


Happy Hunting!

Love,

Wacky Dad







3 comments:

  1. How fun is that? My kids would LOVE to come hunting with you for worms!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin the nightcrawlers will all be out of their holes partying tonight! All you really need is a flashlight and a container. Your kids are welcome to come hunt with me anytime, but I'm sure they'd LOVE hunting with Mom even more!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete