Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pressure Cooked Chicken Stew - Wacky Dad Style!

Pressure Cooking Rocks!!!!


All right dads I have the ultimate cooking tool for you.  This thing is fast, fun, and the food comes out delicious!  Plus you feel like Mr. Wizard while you use it!  This little beauty was a Christmas present from my parents this year.  I have always wanted one but never really knew why.  I am one of those knuckleheads that has to have every damned crazy gadget I see on the middle of the night infomercials.  But let me tell you what.  This thing is the real deal.  It is constructed like a brick shit house.  If you ever need to nail an intruder with a pan definitely grab this baby - better than a Louisville slugger.  Anyway all I had to work with tonight were 4 chicken thighs, some potatoes, some carrots and chicken boullion.  No problem for me!  I decided to whip up a 25 minute chicken stew in my new pressure cooker.  No I did not have a recipe - just some vague ramblings from my father about how he made beef stew - I wasn't paying attention.  Anyway I browned the 4 thighs in light olive oil in the bottom of the pan.  I then added 4 whole cloves of garlic, 5 cups of water, 5 cubes of Chicken Boullion, Salt and Pepper and I put the lid on this contraption for 10 minutes.  In the meantime I cut up 2 large potatoes and a few carrots.
After 15 minutes of furious and awe inspiring steam hissing I managed to get the lid off the thing without blowing myself up.  The chicken was as tender as could be!  I added the veggies in and also added a thickener (Wondra) to the stew.  I threw the lid back on and let it rip for another 10 minutes.  In 25 minutes time I had a delicious stew ready to eat that would normally have taken hours to become as savory as this stew was.  I am totally impressed.  Of course this all sounds good while I'm writing here but I highly recommend watching the attached video to find out all of the meathead details that went along with this cooking experience.  Moms and Dads I have to say that this recipe was a success and the whole family enjoyed multiple servings.  Follow the links I have attached and get yourself on of these babies!  Don't blow yourself up and everyone will be happy!  Actually if you do blow yourself up please send video and photos so I can laugh!   




Iron Chef - Wacky Dad

7 comments:

  1. I don't think it's too likely you'll be getting a call from the Food Network any time soon. Maybe the nuclear energy commission though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to say that the cooker he's using is really a nice machine. It's a Fagor and I gave it to him for Christmas. I also bought one for my wife Cheryl. Mine is a different model, the Futura, and I like it a lot. I looked into a lot of different ones and I believe that this one is a good deal. I hate to cook but the risk of blowing myself up doing it makes it a little more attractive, so I've been experimenting with it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok I have one thing to say re. what is happening aroung ~8:38min into video...WIPE THE DAMN BABY YOU NUT! poor girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-Ha! Now I get the draw to this cooker thingy that you boys have...The comment "the risk of blowing myself up doing it" from Leo has made it all perfectly clear.
    Especially since my husband has been trying to blow himself up his whole life....See More

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did wipe the baby's butt. You no I can't multi task very well - took me a minute to figure out why her pants were off! Any Yes NutNut I do enjoy the slight chance of the damn thing exploding. Anything to spice up the mundane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got off the phone with Booby Flay. We're doing a throw down next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've owned three stainless pressure cookers over the years, & all of them suffered from locking mechanisms that would not actuate & let steam blast through until you shook the pots or pounded them with spoons to get them to actuate.
    stainless steel pressure cooker

    ReplyDelete