Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Man Drowns in Alameda, California

I was quite taken with a story that I listened to today on NPR news about a man who drowned in the water, right off the beach in Alameda, California.  This blog is generally reserved for fun and games, but when I am moved by an event I am certainly not shy about offering my opinion.  Apparently this man was trying to commit suicide by drowning himself, and the police and firefighters were alerted to it, however their local rules do not allow them to enter the water.  These so called public servants stood on the beach and watched a suicidal man tread water for an hour and did nothing.

 

What in hells bells has this country become?  What kind of man, any man, would stand and watch someone drown when they had the means to try to help him?   All they had to do was put on a life jacket and swim out to the guy and they might have saved his life.  What the hell?  I just don't get it.  As a former Marine I am accustomed to following orders.  I understand a rank structure and rules.  By the same token we were trained to use our good sense when certain situations arose.  If an order no longer makes sense in a certain scenario it is time to adapt and overcome.  To hide behind a layer of bullshit and say that we were following an order not to enter the water reeks of cowardice.  I am really perplexed by this whole situation.  I am of the opinion that any person on that beach should be fired for stupidity and negligence, and also any person who was in a supporting role such as the mayor, chief of police, fire chief, who made decisions that led to inaction in this case should be fired.  It is an embarrassment to live in a country where such horseshit can occur.  Oh yeah and by the way - they are changing the rule - no shit!

Pissed Off,

Wacky Dad


2 comments:

  1. Eric,
    Related to wacky Dads & wacky Rules, but not directly to this story, let's talk about your wacky Dad.
    Wack 1. He calls!!... leaves a message saying only 'call him'.
    Wack 2. He leaves no phone #.
    Wack 3. Since it's been maybe.. 8-10 years.. I don't have any contact info.
    Wack 4. Contact info. None available on-line. That is short of paying $39. Do not misunderstand, knowing your Dad is Priceless!! The chance to actually talk to him is a bargain at any price, but.. maybe I'm as 'frugal' as he.
    Wack 5. I finally find an actual paper phone book!! Shock... He's not listed!!
    Wack 6. In the course of seeking data on-line, I find (gasp) lots of Wacky Leo stuff!! (listed below as additional wacks)
    Wack 7. The Wacky Dad Blog!! - Who else would have achieved such aptly named fame & recognition??
    Wack 8. Ultralights!! Lots of references to Dad's Sport Parasol, and to his (double gasp) inaccessible?? Ultralight Page.
    Wack 9. Dad a councilman??!! - No comment necessary.
    Wack 10. A photo of Dad with a drug-addled Congressman & a really big check!!
    Wack 11. Reference to your Dad on the Loehle Aircraft Corp page, with a link to his (still inaccessible) Ultralight Page.

    At some point I became sufficiently consumed with laughter that I had to stop. (It might have been the bucket on his front steps). I didn't come across the Snowmaking thing, but as I recall that was a Wacky Son thing.

    Anyway, thanks for your nicely done tribute to your Dad, it brought back some great memories.
    I'm happy to hear about your girls.

    And, have your Dad give me a call. Please tell him that not leaving a phone number is a Wacky Dad Wacky Rule.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    Good to hear from you. I passed on the message to the old man. I never said he was all that bright! I busted his balls when I told him you were looking for him and didn't leave you a number. Hope you make contact and that things are well in your world.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete