Wednesday, January 26, 2011

CARRYING ON THE FAMILY NAME WITH 3 DAUGHTERS

Four Costantino's - We want to keep it that way!
    Ok folks I have a big quandary to deal with here.  I have 3 daughters and I am an only child.  That leaves me with nobody to carry on the Costantino name.  Our blood will be safe since my daughters are all strong minded little meat heads like myself, but there is just something in a name.  It makes me sad to know that my fathers name will end with me.  Of course it will probably be quite an end - me slamming a tree while skiing some trail I don't belong on, or me careening into a car on my bike as an old geezer, but it will still be an end, and soon people will forget about the Costantino name.
     Up until now I could only see one choice, and I'm not sure it is a good one.  I have been brain washing my girls since birth that they need to have their husbands take our name upon marriage.  Yes this would insure the survival of the family name into another generation but at what cost?  I do know a guy or two who have taken their wives names - and they are great guys.  They had legitimate reasons for doing so.  But would you really want your daughter marrying a guy who so easily caved in to such a demand as losing his name?  I think not.  No self loving meat head could be happy with himself after such an act, thus making my daughter miserable, which will be punishable by death by their Wacky Father-In-Law.  That doesn't work for me or the dead husband! 
    Maybe it is an ego thing but if my wife had ever asked me to take her name the answer would have been emphatically "No!"  Why is this the case?  A sense of pride in my family is the reason.  I had a great mother and father and, for me to give up that name would have been impossibly hard for me.  But why does a female have to give her name up?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  My girls have as much family pride as any kids I know.  I think that changing their names will be a huge blow to them.  Either man or wife should not be forced to change their name by each other other.
     So you ask, what is the solution?  I have an ingenious way to decide who gets what name, and it is totally fair.  You get a damned quarter and you throw it up in the air - husband's name is heads - wife's name is tails.  What can be more fair than a simple coin toss?  The best part about it is with 3 girls, odds are that one of them will win the toin coss and the Costantino name will be preserved!  Am I a damned genius or what?  I believe that this should be a law!  How many bad feelings would be saved if we just left this decision up to a coin toss?  Future wife says upon the quarter landing heads up "awww shucks, heads - you win" and vice versa.  It's a win-win for everyone including this Wacky Dad who is just desperate to keep his name going into the next generation where hopefully my Wacky grandchildren will protect and defend the family name as well as I intend to!  Semper Fidelis to the Costantino name!


Love, 


Wacky Dad    

6 comments:

  1. To my buddy Diane thanks for inspiring this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo....that's what you guys get for only having girly sperm!!!! We also have 3 girls and no one to carry on his name. Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynnie - I will not be giving in that easily! It just isn't in my nature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Son, I feel your pain.

    But consider this, when I was married a marriage where a couple took the woman's name was pretty much unheard of. When you were married it was rare, but by time your kids get married it will be much more commonplace.

    It might not be as big an issue as you envision.

    Although, you bring up a good point, you won't give your daughters hand to anyone who would do that.

    Son, sometimes you're your own worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, well, I'm not a man, but I kind of went through something like this. My brothers (or so we all thought...) were done having kids, and they had girls. So, the family name would have died there.

    So, when I had my son, I gave him MY last name as well as his dad's. Problem solved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks CJ - I've considered that as an option! I checked out your blog, you have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete